The High School Computer Science Principles and AP-aligned Coding Concepts Boot Camp is an intensive 6-week program designed to equip high school students with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in Computer Science Principles and AP-aligned coding concepts. Through a structured curriculum, hands-on activities, and collaborative projects, participants will engage in immersive learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity in the field of computer science.
1. Specific: Provide high school students with a comprehensive understanding of Computer Science Principles and AP-aligned coding concepts.
2. Measurable: Measure students’ progress through assessments, coding projects, and evaluations.
3. Achievable: Ensure that the curriculum and activities are challenging yet attainable for high school students with diverse backgrounds and prior knowledge.
4. Relevant: Align the boot camp with the College Board’s AP Computer Science Principles framework to prepare students for success in the AP exam.
5. Time-bound: Complete the boot camp within a 6-week timeframe, allowing students to enhance their computer science skills efficiently.
Tentative Weekly Schedule:
Week 1: Introduction to Computer Science Principles
– Overview of the AP Computer Science Principles framework and curriculum
– Introduction to fundamental computer science concepts: abstraction, algorithms, programming, and data representation
– Hands-on coding activities using block-based programming languages
Week 2: Exploring Coding Concepts
– Introduction to coding languages such as Python or Java
– Understanding variables, conditionals, loops, and functions
– Collaborative coding projects to reinforce concepts
Week 3: Data Structures and Algorithms
– Introduction to data structures: arrays, lists, stacks, and queues
– Understanding algorithm design and analysis
– Implementation of algorithms through coding challenges
Week 4: Web Development and Design
– Creating interactive web pages and user interfaces
– Design principles and accessibility considerations
Week 5: Object-Oriented Programming
– Introduction to object-oriented programming (OOP) concepts
– Implementation of OOP principles in coding projects
– Collaboration on larger-scale coding projects
Week 6: Exam Preparation and Showcase
– Review of key concepts and exam strategies for the AP Computer Science Principles exam
– Practice exams and mock assessments
– Student project showcase and reflection on the boot camp experience
Note: The weekly schedule is subject to adjustments based on the pace and needs of the students, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of the curriculum within the 6-week timeframe.